Re: Add option to indicate frets by letters in tablature (issue164063)

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Add option to indicate frets by letters in tablature (issue164063)
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 07:00:04 -0700

On 12/21/09 1:55 AM, "Trevor Daniels" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Carl Sorensen wrote Monday, December 21, 2009 12:58 AM
>
>> I've never had anybody turn down a patch by me because I had the
>> wrong
>> number of indents, ore even call me on it, because the rules are
>> not well
>> enough understood by us mere mortals (it's all in the indenter
>> code).
>> I think if you always did 2 space indentation consistently nobody
>> would
>> complain.
>
> I'm pretty sure Neil did in patch set 3 to 164063.
> Reitveld gives error 500 when I try to view it now,
> so I can't double-check though.  That's why I asked
> the question.

No, there were some inconsistent lines in that patch (IIRC it was because
of poor tab spacing on my part somehow

> Actually, with the information on Neil's link
>
>> Here's a link which explains it a bit more clearly:
>> http://evalwhen.com/scmindent/index.html

It does explain it more clearly, except that it has no list of the spacing
indents for the various keywords.  So it gives general principles, but not
specifics.

> I can see why these different indents might be useful,
> but only if we are very strict on implementing them.
>
> Should we be?

In my opinion, no.  No human has the knowledge to do so.

Yes, I'll change the indenter on vim as suggested in Neil's link, but we
can't be strict.  All we can do is run all code through an emacs or
emacs-equivalent indenter.

Thanks,

Carl