Re: more compiling questions

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: more compiling questions
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 10:46:43 +0000

On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 06:29:44PM -0800, Mark Polesky wrote:
> 1) Is there a difference between...
>    ...`make doc' and `make doc *'?

I've been documentation editor for six years, and I don't have a
clue what `make doc *' does.

>    ...`make clean' and `make clean *'?

Ditto.

You want:
- ./configure or ./autogen.sh
- make distclean
- make
- make clean
- make doc
- make doc-clean

(not in order; those are pairs of "do something; clean it up")

> 2) If I'm running `make' or `make doc', can I continue to
>    work on git, changing branches, making commits, etc.?  I
>    assume no, but if someone knows, let me know.

Not safely.  If make has finished building a target, you can start
changing the files that the target depended on, but this requires
much more knowledge of the build system.

Cheers,
- Graham