releases plans for Dec and 2010

From: Graham Percival
Subject: releases plans for Dec and 2010
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2009 07:00:13 +0000

Just so that people know what's planned...
- another beta for 2.12.3 will happen as soon as I can build the tests
and docs.  Jan and I will continue to work on this; hopefully it'll be
out in a few days.  This will be the last 2.12 release.

- 2.13.10 will happen fairly soon thereafter; the main goal of this
release will be to test the release plans.

- the first beta release of 2.14 will happen as soon as either 1) we
have no Regression or High-priority items in the tracker, or 2) all
the issues in the tracker have been re-categorized with the upcoming
new guidelines.

- after 2.14, we'll begin having much shorter unstable development
phases.  I know I said this last year and it didn't happen, so I have
pretty low credibility on this score, but the difference is that *now*
I can build GUB.

To assist in this, in the near future I'll set up a daily out-of-tree
building system for lilypond (I've done it before for marsyas).  If
any build fails, it will send rude messages to lilypond-devel with a
list of the names of everybody who committed things since the last
successful build.  :)

For the latter part of the year... GLISS will start shortly after 2.14
is out, and will probably run for 6 - 12 months.  We'll save up all
the gliss syntax changes during that time.  Once we know what we want
to do, we'll release one more 2.x version, apply all the syntax
changes, then release 3.0 a week or two later.  Some people will still
complain about the syntax changes, but I think this is the best
compromise we can have: if anybody wants to maintain the old 2.x
branch, at least they know that 2.18.0 is the same (modulo syntax
changes) as 3.0.0.

Cheers,
- Graham