Re: Make define-builtin-markup{, -list}-command #:category #:properties

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Make define-builtin-markup{, -list}-command #:category #:properties keywords (issue160048)
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2009 22:17:53 +0100

Carl Sorensen <address@hidden> writes:

> On 12/3/09 11:35 AM, "David Kastrup" <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> But I certainly will not invest a lot of work, upload, branch creation,
>> discussion whatever because you are not interested in making your fix
>> cleaner after being told how.
>
> Fair enough.  I apologize for replying too soon and too short.
>

>> Your first commit did not even compile.  If you don't jump through any
>> review hoops for your code, why should I for _your_ code?
>
> Yes, and then I posted another patch on Rietveld, because I recognized
> my mistakes.  I did not see any comment from you on that patch.

I have to admit that I did not look at all at the previous discussion
and related patch and did not notice the Rietveld entry at all.  I just
went by word of Graham "current tree does segfault on make doc", let it
run make doc, started the failed command with the debugger active, and
fixed code that was obviously going to bomb out on certain input,
without understanding an inkling about what the code was for.  I just
brought the obvious intent of the programmer in line with the code.

I had followed no previous discussion and had no idea about the history
and purpose of the code.

> That's why I responded inappropriately.  Again, I'm not justifying,
> just explaining.  I'll review the issue some more.

Frankly, the code did not instill me with confidence that it would cause
coherent behavior.  I just yanked out the segfaulting without bothering
to inform myself what the code was for.

If you consider my opinion worthwhile enough, I am willing to invest the
time needed to come up with an opinion about what the whole code does
and whether I consider the approach suitable and the code in line with
its purpose.

That will cost me considerably more time than just removing the segfault
cause did.  And if that review is met with the apathy I have come to
expect for my contributions, it will seriously diminuish my willingness
to invest further time in Lilypond for things that are not strictly
important to me.

If you say "don't bother" upfront, that's fine.