Re: [frogs] Frog's Lament

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [frogs] Frog's Lament
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 10:36:31 +0100

> I have a different viewpoint.  I am mystified by the desire of some
> people to mess with the most complicated parts of the program, without
> having the knowledge to pull that.  It's possible to do that, but it
> requires a lot of skill in absording a lot of code quickly.  From a
> didactic point of view, I don't think it is a good way to starting
> learning how things work.

You are making the mistake of confusing yourself (or your view of an
ideal pupil) with everybody else.

I have what amounts to severe attention disorder syndrome.  I can't
focus on easy tasks.  I can only work effectively on hard or impossible
things, mostly until 95% are done.  When learning or practicing an
instrument, the successful way for me was to take on things that were 10
times my level.  I could work on those.  And after a lot of time, they
were just 2 times my level, and I could take on new challenges because I
was not progressing any more.

It's a good thing we had a basement where I could get locked away for
practising.

It is very frustrating for teachers because their concepts don't work.
I can't get myself to actually do the things that would be "sensible".
No way.  I need to find the teachers that are willing to give me spot
help when I crash without getting on.  Or just look over my technique
every half year or so to make sure I am not wasting all too much time up
the wrong alley.

So _please_ don't assume you know how people are supposed to be taught.
A lot of highly skilled programmers have what amounts to personality
disorders of one kind or the other.  They may be wired completely
different from what you would expect from normal people, without making
them less suitable for helping the project on, probably rather more.

Remember Rune.