Re: help wanted page

From: Ian Hulin
Subject: Re: help wanted page
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 23:55:59 +0000

Graham Percival wrote:
On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 03:19:00PM +0000, Ian Hulin wrote:
Graham Percival wrote:
I've made a first draft of the "help us" page:
http://kainhofer.com/~lilypond/Documentation/web/help-us.html
"To get the source code, see Starting with git."
I've got problems with this here and in the CG. The reason is that You're making a lot of assumptions about potential contributers' experience

There's only so much we can explain on this page -- and, for that
matter, the CG.

I've revamped the "help us" page (should be visible on kainhofer
tomorrow), and added a bit of general info to the CG about doc
source files, output formats, etc.
On web page
'Many users ask “I can’t program; how can I help?”' - this needs to be as prominent as the 'No source, no programming' beneath it - can you bold it?
'Mailist support: we have many users asking for him.'  Who's he?
Do you mean something like 'Mailing list support: you can help by answering queries and requests for support from Lilypond users'?

  At this point, I think we've
reached a point of diminishing returns... if anybody is seriously
interested in doc work and doesn't understand these points, a few
sentences in an email about his specific concerns will clear it
up.

If you'd like to work more about this point in the CG, I of course
have no objections.
It's next on my list.

Cheers,
Ian