Re: Issue 872 in lilypond: Changes split-page has broken images

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: Issue 872 in lilypond: Changes split-page has broken images
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2009 10:12:59 +0100

Le mercredi 04 novembre 2009 à 00:11 +0000, Graham Percival a écrit :
> Sure!  At the time, I thought you were completely engrossed in
> sorting out your move, and I didn't want to bother you.

I'm engrossed with many other things, but never mind: I still don't have
time to work on the translations and build system, but at least I have
time to discuss on the lists.  BTW the time you don't spend looking at
ROADMAP, the CG and build scripts and thinking to find the answer of
your questions is spent by me to answer the same questions; your time is
as precious as mine, but I likely won't have time to both discuss such
things and work on the new build system.

> Why don't we just agree that any substantial discussion (more than
> 2 or 3 sentences) should be on the mailist?  Once the discussion
> has ended, we can add a link to the archives on the tracker so it
> doesn't get lost.

I fully agree.

> I'm not aware that we need an offline target.  If that's used for
> the docball, why not build that from the online target?

Because .html (and maybe .png) suffixes are stripped in URLs in the
online target, which completely breaks navigation on a local media
(unless you have a properly set up HTTP sever running on your box :-P)

> Well, off the top of my head, the only thing that's left before
> declaring the build system side of the new website "finished" is
> fixing the image links in changes.tely.  So... 15 minutes (?) of
> work for you to modify postprocess_html.py, 60 minutes (?) for me
> to understand and then modify postprocess_html.py... or 5-10 weeks
> to get the new doc build system ready?

I *cannot* estimate the completion of the new doc build system, except
that it can be anything between 3 weeks and 3 months.  It depends on how
much email I have to keep with translations and the build system, how
much time I have to spend in bureaucratic details for my PhD...

> At this stage, I really want to be finishing projects and getting
> 2.14 ready, so I think it makes sense to work on the old build
> system.
> (I consider postprocess.py part of the build system)

postprocess_html.py will survive to the switch to another build system.
Please also remember 3-4 weeks for translating the website, when it is
ready; therefore I'm not sure it's worth hacking makefiles too much.  I
mean, it's not necessary that translated website builds perfectly for
starting translating it, only having some HTML output is needed for the
translators and us to check the output.

Best,
John