Re: horizontal offset bug of skip markups

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: horizontal offset bug of skip markups
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2009 21:48:09 +0100

Werner LEMBERG wrote Saturday, August 22, 2009 7:23 AM

There is a horizontal offset bug if a markup is attached to a skip.
Look at this small example:

 \paper {
   ragged-right = ##f
 }

 foo = {
   s1
   \time 7/8 s8*7^"foobar"
   \time 10/8
 }

 bar = {
   R1
   R8*7
 }

 <<
   \context Staff = "foo" \foo
   \context Staff = "foo" \bar

The word `foobar' is attached to a skip, which should be always
positioned at the beginning of the bar, just as if I position, say, a quarter note. However, it isn't currently -- the final time signature
just makes the effect more visible.

Since I'm not sure whether this is related to Joe's recent changes (or whether my assumption w.r.t. skip positioning is wrong) I'm posting it
here first before adding a bug report.

This effect seems to be a consequence of
ragged-right = ##f together with a second bar
containing a single note (or space).  When
the second bar is stretched to fill the line
the note gets displaced almost to the centre
of the bar.  This simpler example shows the
same effect:

\paper {
 ragged-right = ##f
}
{
 a'1
 a'1^"foobar"
}

The spacing may not be optimum, but I'm
not sure I'd call it a bug.  After all,
stretching this out to a full line is never
going to look right, whatever you do.

Trevor