Re: patch to fix text color in PDF output

From: Andrew Hawryluk
Subject: Re: patch to fix text color in PDF output
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 10:33:16 -0600

On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 10:49 PM, David Kastrup<address@hidden> wrote:
> Andrew Hawryluk <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 7:33 AM, David Kastrup<address@hidden> wrote:
>>>
>>> Sure do.  So what driver with what setting converts your PDF to the
>>> respective printer language?
>>
>> Good question.
>> At home: Samsung ML-2010, SpliX V. 2.0.0 on Ubuntu 9.04 (evince or
>> acroread)
>
> What printer driver is configured with what settings?  Ubuntu has a
> printer dialogue.

Here's the relevant info from the 'Printer Properties' dialogue.

Make and model = Samsung ML-2010 Foomatic/gdi
Resolution = 600 DPI
Economy mode = Off
Media type = Normal Paper
Page size = Letter
Halftoning Algorithm = Accurate (the other options are 'standard' and
'well-tempered screening' - is that the print setting Bach would have
used?)
Toner density = 3 (on a scale of 1-5)

>> I have also now tried monochrome black with CMYK red, which is
>> probably the best output option, but the TeX code could be cleaned up.
>
> Maybe.  But CMYK black really should be black.  If it isn't, there is
> something wrong, likely in the printer driver which could be
> GhostScript.  The printer, incidentally, is a B&W or a color printer?

B&W. I've only printed TexInfo output on B&W printers to date. and I
always get the same results.

>> I have attached sample pages of the original and my latest variation
>> for comparison. Perhaps someone else can print both pages and see a
>> difference.
>
> Didn't make it to the list.  Download location?

OK, here's three renderings of the 'short essay' (the LM version,
abridged by Trevor):

www.musicbyandrew.ca/essayCMYKblack.pdf  -   original
www.musicbyandrew.ca/essayRGBblack.pdf  -   my original patch, red &
black in RGB color space
www.musicbyandrew.ca/essayMonoBlack.pdf  -   my new suggestion,
monochrome black with the orignal CMYK red left unchanged

On every combination of OS, PDF viewer, and B&W laser printer that I
have tried, the original text is rendered just a shade lighter than
true black, both on-screen and in print. Can anyone confirm this? On
screen you can take a screenshot and measure the color of the text
(e.g. in GIMP). In print, the effect is most visible in the body text.

Andrew