Re: PATCH: Improved tablature support vs email

From: demery
Subject: Re: PATCH: Improved tablature support vs email
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 14:59:05 -0000

On Fri, Aug 14, 2009, Mark Polesky <address@hidden> said:

>> If all \foo were right-associative it would be easy to read them.  Is it
>> possible to make monadic operators right-associative so as to end this
>> confusion?  Yes, i realize this could have a nasty impact; if done at all
>> it would mean devising a new set of right-associative operators and
>> deprecating the old ones (never eliminating them of course, such being the
>> fate of deprecated stuff).
>
> Imagine how convoluted the convert-ly rules would need to be... ugh.

In an ideal world someone would have been thinking ahead from the start on
how naive users perceptions were, but then, at first there was mainly one
user, more concerned with his thesis deadline than anything else :-)

> I was thinking about this earlier today, what are LilyPond's
> "operators"?

What distinguishes a function from an operator in the first place?

http://www.answers.com/topic/operator#Operators_versus_functions

had a discussion that surprised me.  Wouldnt surprise me to find out that
ly has implemented a private philosophy here tho.

> * there are single and double angle-brackets here. Recently I've
>   noticed some e-mail clients and/or mailing list archives do
>   weird things with them (like removing them).

thats a problem when we depend on this medium to communicate; ietf-822
etal define the packaging, not the content; leaving the world to its
existing conventions and new ones to come.  Luckily present email and list
usage is for quotation, so only the characters beginning a line are at
risk.  We could employ MIME attachments and html or xml encoding as a work
around.

Used to be that signatures beginning a line with '--' was the only content
convention, tho when usenet news decided to make quotes with lines
prefaced by '>' and the block prefaced by a citation that set a trend
which continues.  Some client software employs other quotation markers in
liu of seas of >>>>>
some users have personal policys ...

--
Dana Emery