Re: difference betwwen \pad-around and \pad-markup?

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: difference betwwen \pad-around and \pad-markup?
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 18:06:01 -0600

On 8/12/09 5:54 PM, "Graham Percival" <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 05:43:39PM -0600, Carl Sorensen wrote:
>>
>> Also, we need to recognize that the first commit after running convert-ly on
>> the docs and the snippets will result in changes to every version statement.
>
> Yes.  Now, we could just *hope* that there's only one convert-ly
> update for each version, but that would be silly.  What about
> adding:
>    convert-ly --from "2.13.3" ...
> (where 2.13.3 is the previous downloadable version)
>
> to the above commands?

That's what the "-f current-devel-release" part of the commands was; I used
-f instead of --from.

>> Maybe we need to make sure that part of the release of a new development
>> version is to:
>>
>> A. Bump VERSION
>> B. Run convert-ly (there won't be any rules, but it will change all the
>> version statements, so once convert-ly is run on a new snippet and changes
>> it, the proper changes will be tracked in git.
>
> convert-ly only changes version statements if there's a syntax
> change, so this would do nothing.

OK -- no problem them.

>> Back to update procedure:
>>
>> 3) If convert rule *is* NOT_SMART,
>> A) Manually copy all snippets resulting in NOT_SMART conversion to
>> B) Manually update all of these snippets:
>> C) Run scripts/auxiliar/makelsr.py
>
> Yes, as far as it goes -- I didn't keep track of the numerous
> discussions about translated docs.  What happens to those?

The snippets in Documentation/snippets/new take precedence over the snippets
in Documentation/snippets.  So the translated documents get the new
snippets.

And when translations are updated, the new translation strings will be added
to the new snippets.  So the translated docs are taken care of by this
procedure.

If a snippet is to be removed from the body of the docs (selected snippets),
it should be removed from all languages.

If a snippet is to be removed from inclusion as a "docs" snippet in the LSR,
it should be copied to Documentation/snippets/new and modified (as above) so
that the content reads

\markup {" This snippet is deprecated from Release X.Y.Z. and will be
removed from the documentation."}

There should probably also be a request to the LSR editor (currently Neil or
Valentin, IIRC) to remove the docs tag from that snippet.

I think that has everything accounted for.

Thanks,

Carl