Re: lilycontrib.tcl, was Re: the "r" in "git pull -r"

From: Johannes Schindelin
Subject: Re: lilycontrib.tcl, was Re: the "r" in "git pull -r"
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 15:11:54 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

On Tue, 11 Aug 2009, Jonathan Kulp wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 7:00 AM, Jonathan Kulp <address@hidden>wrote:

> >> Ouch, I think I know what happened.  Git used your _current_ working
> >> directory as work tree.  So you have some stray LilyPond files lying
> >> around somewhere.
> >>

> > Aha! That's why I found a bunch of lily files in my $HOME/bin/ directory! I
> > found a lily/ directory inadvertently last night, and now that I look,
> > there's the Documentation, ly, make, stepmake, etc. So the files did get
> > downloaded, just not where expected. Easily fixed...
> >

> Success!
>
> I chose an amateurish brute-force method but it worked. Here's my revised
> update_lilypond function:
>
> proc update_lilypond {} {
>        global lily_dir
>        if {![file exists $lily_dir]} {
>                file mkdir $lily_dir
>                cd $lily_dir ; git init
>                git config core.bare false
>                cd $lily_dir ; git remote add -t master \
>                        origin git://repo.or.cz/lilypond.git
>                cd $lily_dir ; git fetch --depth 1
>                cd $lily_dir ; git checkout -b master origin/master
>        } else {
>                cd $lily_dir ; git pull
>        }
> }
>
> It's possible that the first "cd $lily_dir" would suffice but I wanted to be
> sure without having to experiment.  I know that in some circumstances the
> next lines of scripts or makefiles the succeeding lines are run in the
> working dir rather than the target dir.
>
> Thanks for the cool script, Johannes. :)

Heh.

I did something similar, except I used --work-tree and therefore could do
it in one place.  However, I needed the "file mkdir", too, and I had to
change the "git pull" to a "git fetch" and "git merge" combo.  This is
something I wanted to do anyway, as I want to have a checkbox that says
whether you want to rebase all the time, or rather merge.

It probably should use the 'branch.<name>.rebase' config variable, just
like Git does itself.

Ciao,
Dscho