Re: GUB fails to rebuild, configure issues?

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: GUB fails to rebuild, configure issues?
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 14:30:53 +0200

Le mardi 11 août 2009 à 04:46 -0700, Graham Percival a écrit :
> Odd behavior: if I rm -rf target/*/build/lilypond*,
> target/*/src/lilypond*, target/*/status/lilypond*, and
> target/*/installer/lilypond*   (I'm trying to be safe), it seems
> to build ok.  But if I try to rebuild with "make lilypond", or if
> I forget to clean one directory, it fails.

> I thought that I'd seen error messages about needing to remove
> config.hh, but this last time that I cleaned things out and
> generated the error, there's no such message.

This is certainly because GUB uses smart-autogen.sh, which runs
autogen.sh if only if stepmake/aclocal MD5 sums have changed since last
smart-autogen.sh invocation.  The problem is, Werner requested that make
checks that configure script has a more recent modification time than
configure.in and stepmake/aclocal.m4, which may happen even if MD5 sums
of these files -- e.g. mtime of source files checked out from Git is the
time when the file was last checked out or updated after
merging/fast-forwarding/pulling.  I'm reverting the change I made.

To sum up, smart-autogen.sh is too smart for make, and this is one more
reason to switch the build system to SCons, which Jan almost convinced
me to do.

John