Re: Automatic accidentals: voice/staff should be set separately

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Automatic accidentals: voice/staff should be set separately
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 2009 13:55:25 -0600

Frederic,

On 8/8/09 12:01 PM, "Frédéric Bron" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I refer to that portion of the documentation:
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.12/Documentation/user/lilypond/Displaying-pitches#A
> utomatic-accidentals
>
> I think that the fact that automatic accidentals should apply at voice
> or staff level should be set separately from the type of automatic
> accidentals.
> For example, today, it is not possible to have neo-modern at voice level.
> Separating the level from the method would reduce the number of
> automatic types and would enlarge the possibilities.

I'm not an expert on this, but I always assumed the current automatic types
were those that were used by convention in engraving.

If you think it would be better to define some properties to control
accidental display, then define the conventions by their settings of the
properties, that might be useful.

We'd then have the options of simply defining new accidental styles just by
changing a few possibilities.   It's also very easy to define what an
accidental style is by referring to the properties (something analogous to
break-visibility).

> If you think it is relevant and it is something "easy" to do, I can
> try to do it as a frog with some helping directions.

I have no idea how difficult this would be to do, but I'd be happy to
provide whatever help I could.

I think the first step is to plan what you'd like to accomplish, and propose
the specific plan (not in terms of *how* to do it, but in terms of what it
might look like in a LilyPond file.  Once that's taken care of then we can
talk about how to accomplish it.

Thanks,

Carl