Re: new repos: do we want an archive?

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: new repos: do we want an archive?
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 23:18:56 -0700

On Tue, Aug 04, 2009 at 06:44:12PM -0300, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 5:19 AM, Graham Percival<address@hidden> wrote:
> > However, I started wondering about all the old history that would
> > be lost when we delete web/ and (to a much lesser extent)
> > web-gop/.
>
> I don't understand this action.  In general the whole purpose of
> having a source code control system is to _have_ an archive old
> material.  Why do you want to delete old stuff, or move it into a
> different repo where nobody will be able to find it?

I'm hoping to avoid confusing new contributors -- if we don't use
the web/ branch, then there's a danger that somebody might start
working on files in there.  Basically, I *do* want to make it
harder for people to find stuff that they don't actually want to
find.

However, I've discovered that git can rename branches, so we could
call them archive/web and archive/web-gop instead.  That should be
clear enough to avoid confusion.

Cheers,
- Graham