Re: LilyPond concept glossary?

From: Ian Hulin
Subject: Re: LilyPond concept glossary?
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2009 18:51:23 +0100

Trevor Daniels wrote:

Mark Polesky wrote Thursday, July 30, 2009 7:06 PM

It would be nice to have some central place that explains some
"internals" concepts. Here are examples of things that a new developer
might have to ask about, or perhaps spend a long time disentangling:

grob
prob
smob
output-def
callback
simple-closure

It would be nice to have a LilyPond-specific glossary, that users could
also use. For example, a user might get "glyph" and "stencil" confused.
I still get "command" "keyword" "identifier" and "variable" confused.
I still don't know the difference between "parser" and "lexer". You get
the idea.

Any thoughts?

It would be a helpful addition.  The best place would
be another appendix to the NR.  The only alternative
would be the CG, but this would not be helpful to users.
As it's a glossary, including terms which users don't
ever need would not a problem, I think.  (The LM is too
simplistic for this, the MG is for musical terms and the
AU is not appropriate.)

Maybe Technical glossary would be a better term?

But we need to wait for more comments before taking any
action.

Trevor
+10
As these are all things for helping developers to get up to speed, I think they fit best in the CG.

Cheers,
Ian