Re: RFC: new vertical layout engine

From: Joe Neeman
Subject: Re: RFC: new vertical layout engine
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2009 15:20:29 +1000

On Mon, 2009-08-03 at 12:22 -0600, Andrew Hawryluk wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 7:18 PM, Joe Neeman<address@hidden> wrote:
> > After fixing the latest round of bugs (pointed out by Neil Puttock and
> > Michael Käppler), I've pushed the changes to git's master branch. That
> > is, you should test master instead of dev/jneeman and bugs now belong on
> > the bug list instead of in this thread.
>
> Just tried the latest version, and it looks awesome!
> A pleasant, but unexpected side-effect of the new logic is that it
> accepts more compact systems: the first piece I tried it on went from
> 11 pages to 8, and only the first system looked too squished.
> (Attached.) I tried
>   \override StaffGrouper #'between-staff-spacing #'padding = #1
> with no effect. Should this pad the skylines or just the staff itself?

The interaction between the different xxx-spacing variables is a little
complex and I need to document it properly. In this case, the problem is
that Lyrics are unaffected by between-staff-spacing (because they are
non-spaceable) and so your override only forces there to be one staff
unit of padding between adjacent _staves_, which is satisfied by your
example. Unfortunately, there is not yet any way to control the spacing
between Lyrics and the staff below it, which is where you really want
the extra padding AFAICT.

Joe