Re: New vertical engine: first system too close to title

From: Joe Neeman
Subject: Re: New vertical engine: first system too close to title
Date: Sun, 02 Aug 2009 17:50:56 -0700

On Mon, 2009-08-03 at 01:53 +0200, Francisco Vila wrote:
> 2009/8/1 Joe Neeman <address@hidden>:
> > On Sat, 2009-08-01 at 11:44 +0200, Francisco Vila wrote:
> >> >
> >> Hello. The new vertical algorythm is nearly perfect. Here is another
> >> problem, though.
> >>
> >> \version "2.13.4"
> >> \header{ title = "The title" }
> >> {
> >>  \clef bass
> >>  \repeat unfold 60 g4
> >> }
> >>

> >> There is no default spacing between the title and the first system;
> >> this is not as noticeable when the default treble clef is set, but
> >> with bass clef it nearly touches the title.
> >
> > This comes down to the default value of after-title-spacing in
> > ly/paper-defaults-init.ly, which is clearly way too small. I'd suggest
> > '((space . 10) (padding . 2)) as a starting point. Could you check
> > whether this is default is indeed better (including, perhaps, on scores
> > that are vertically stretched)?
>
> It is much better. Sorry for my lack of understanding of these
> internals, but my question is, why the first system is in a lower
> position when the score is stretched?
>
> Just to be sure, what I mean is: the distance from title to music
> shouldn't be the same regardless of whether ragged-last-bottom=#f or
> =#t ?

I'm not sure. In the old spacing code, the space between a title and a
system could be stretched, so I preserved that behaviour in the new
code. Would it be better if the space remained fixed? It can be achieved
by adding (stretchability . 0) to after-title-spacing and I'm happy to
add it to the default setting if that's the appropriate behaviour.

> Another nitpick is,  the music now almost touches the tagline, so I
> wonder this default also has to grow.

This is related to Reinhold's header collision; the extent of headers
and footers isn't properly accounted for yet.

Joe