Re: Reverting Beat Grouping Commands

From: Neil Puttock
Subject: Re: Reverting Beat Grouping Commands
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2009 16:31:00 +0100

2009/4/26 Trevor Daniels <address@hidden>:

> Just to recap, the advantage of \override over \set is that previously
> overridden values can be recovered by \revert because they are
> pushed onto a stack, whereas \unset simply restores the original
> default value.  Is that right?

Yes.

The problem with context properties is there's nowhere to store the
previous value, hence why the following doesn't work:

\relative c' {
  \set fontSize = #-5
  c4
  \once \set fontSize = #4.7
  c4
  % reverts to default size, rather than -5
}

> If so, are there any other context
> properties that might benefit from a similar push-down stack?

Definitely.

There's an issue logged for this related to midi, but it would be
useful in many other situations.

> My knowledge of the internals is not sufficient to judge whether this
> is feasible or even possible, but is this an alternative approach
> worth considering?

I'm sure it's possible, but it's way beyond my capabilities.

Regards,
Neil