Re: recent beaming change?

From: Patrick McCarty
Subject: Re: recent beaming change?
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 12:01:04 -0700

On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 11:20 AM, Patrick McCarty <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 8:31 AM, Andrew Hawryluk <address@hidden> wrote:
>> My latest LilyPond build (2.13.1, 24 Apr 2009) produces different
>> beaming than my last build.
>>
>> e.g. {c''8 c'' c'' c''}
>> used to produce   |_|_|_|
>> and now it gives me    |_|  |_|
>>
>> Was this intentional?
>
> Yes, this was changed recently.  The reasons are listed here:
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-lilypond/2009-03/msg00126.html
>
> I don't know if the plans to revise the auto-beaming code (being
> discussed by Carl, Trevor, and Neil) will address this issue.
> Clearly, it would be better to allow for this "special case", since
>
> |_|_|_|
>
> is much more common than
>
> |_|  |_|

Oops.  I should elaborate a little more about this.

The first beaming pattern used to be the default in certain cases
(e.g. 4/4 time on beats 1 and 3), and this beaming pattern can still
be used by modifying beatLength, as Trevor described.

But it is reasonable to expect users to use "\set beatLength =
#(ly:make-moment 1 2)" if they want the first beaming pattern, which
is more common?

-Patrick