Re: CG Information on Snippet Handling

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: CG Information on Snippet Handling
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 11:55:52 +0800

On Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 09:16:47PM -0600, Carl D. Sorensen wrote:

> > I don't mind what you do, so long as it doesn't break compilation. :)
>
> OK, so how about this for proposal 3 for something to go into the CG:

Here's my proposal: since this will change in 6 weeks and it isn't
urgent, we leave the CG alone.  Or simply put a "FIXME: will doc
soon.  Ask for help if you need to do this" there.

> "If a new snippet created for documentation purposes will compile in
> the current LSR version, the snippet should be added to the LSR, and a
> reference to the snippet should be added to the documentation.

Historically, we sent the snippet to the LSR editor to deal with.
Since we *still* don't have a dedicated LSR editor who has nothing
better to do than play with web-2.0 things... i.e. the people who
/are/ LSR editors are sufficiently skilled that they can be even
more useful to lilypond by fixing bugs or whatnot... this becomes
problematic.

My idea: dump a
@c LSR
@c @lilypondfile{my-proposed-filename1.ly}

in the .itely.  Send my-proposed-file1.ly to the
LSR-editor-ewith-nothing-better-to-do, which will temporarily be
filled by Neil (even though he *does* have better things to do)
but will hopefully be replaced by somebody who *doesn't*
understand the C++/scm stuffs, or isn't willing to spend the time
analyzing and commenting on patches.

LSR editor glances over the snippet, changing what's necessary.
He adds it.  A few days later, he downloads the snippets, runs
makelsr.py, and edits the .itely to uncomment the inclusion.

In other words, the doc writer's job finished when he emails the
snippet to the LSR editor.  Or maybe we'll call him a "snippet
manager", and use the same process for input/new/ stuff as well.

BTW carl, you want @@ignore and @@end ignore.

> To have a snippet appear in the documentation before the LSR update and/or
> makelsr.py run have been completed,

... go drink some vodka and play some online tower defense flash
games, because that will be a more efficient use of your time.
:)

(I was recovering from a big deadline yesterday.  Minus the vodka,
I spent the day very efficiently.)

Cheers,
- Graham