Re: adding snippets manually

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: adding snippets manually
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2009 20:03:27 +0800

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 09:39:07PM -0600, Carl D. Sorensen wrote:

> On 4/17/09 9:16 PM, "Graham Percival" <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > That said, I must admit that CG 5 doesn't go into details of how
> > to manually deal with input/new to input/lsr.  The format changes
> > slightly.  It's dealt with the python script, but I did it by hand
> > a few times for small fixes.
>
> The CG recommends using makelsr.py.  But I thought than only Neil was
> authorized to use makelsr.py.

That's why I said "I need to think about this".  Or I think I said
it.  I meant to say it, at least.

> So can I use makelsr.py on my machine, but not add the new lsr files to git?
> That doesn't sound particularly good to me.

Well, yeah.  Hmm... right now I'm imagining a prepsnippet.py,
which copies a single snippet.  makelsr.py would then call
prepsnippet.py on every snippet it normally handles.

> What I did this time around (and I didn't like it well at all) was just put
> a copy in input/new, and copied it to input/lsr.  That gave me a copy of the
> title and the texidoc in the snippet, which is *not* nice.  But I think we
> need to have some way to get new snippets in the docs pretty quickly.

Not only that, but with a minimum of effort.  IMO, people adding
new features should only be required to write one .ly file (for
input/regression/ ); they shouldn't need to do any other manual
tweaking to get a snippet in input/lsr/.

I suspect this will need to wait 6 weeks, unless John pops out of
the woodwork to say "I was kicked out of my teacher training
thing, so I have plenty of time for lilypond now" :P
Or unless a Frog particularly wants to handle it.  But since I
know exactly what the problem is, and I'm decent at python, and it
isn't particularly time-sensitive, I can do this easily once I'm
home.

Fixing this could also tie into my long-desired separation of docs
from code -- we kill input/ entirely.  Snippets go in docs/input,
and regtests go in regression/ or regtests/ or something like
that.  Oh, I also hate the capital letter in "Documentation", so
I'm wanting "docs/" instead.  And the current input/examples/ dies
completely and is replaced by lsr-derived stuff.  And maybe see if
we can set up lsr on Valentin's new server, if that new server is
more reliable than the current one.

And a pony.  I really want a pony.

Cheers,
- Graham

PS  actually, I don't want a pony.  What I /really/ want is to
hike up a mountain (a proper mountain, at least 1km high), find a
patch of snow, tear off my clothes, and roll around naked in it.
Bloody endless 30-degree temperature...  you guys can have all the
"tropical paradise" you want.  I am *so* looking forward to cold
Scottish rain.