lyrics for right-left writing systems such as hebrew or arabic

From: demery
Subject: lyrics for right-left writing systems such as hebrew or arabic
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 17:38:01 -0000

Dumb question, some (perverse?) writing systems are contrary to western
music notation, assuming we allow full unicode lyrics, how does one set
hebrew or arabic lyrics to western music?

Only way I can think of is to (have the user) transliterate phonetically
into the roman alphabet, as in -

  hava nagila, hava nagila...

I realize this presents certain cultural issues, but what is a music
typesetting program to do?  I suppose it could be rewritten to set the
music right-left, but that could be a bit challenging to the members of
the band...

--
Dana Emery