Re: tab characters in the source code

From: Anthony W. Youngman
Subject: Re: tab characters in the source code
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 09:53:10 +0100

In message <address@hidden>, Han-Wen Nienhuys <address@hidden> writes
On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 8:18 PM, Carl D. Sorensen <address@hidden> wrote:

As to LY not accepting tabs, thats a shame, tabs should be treated as
characters from the days of teletypes which sometimes find their way into
ascii files from odd unix and dos systems; this is done in the postscript
language.  Except perhaps in lyrics, where they might well be used to
demarcate syllables.

LilyPond accepts tabs just fine; they're whitespace.  If you want to put tab
characters in your LilyPond source you can do so.

Programming standards for LilyPond call for avoiding the tab character.
We're free to choose whatever programming conventions we want for our source
code.

I don't think it is a standard, but I would not mind making it a standard.

Someone else will know more than me, but I think the linux kernel standards say "here's a pretty-printer definition, any patches should be cleaned up with this first".

If we can get a similar definition for lily, the standards can say "use it to clean up your code before submitting, and if you modify code that doesn't comply with the standard, submit your changes and the pretty print as two different patches".

That way, the code will tend to a standard, and if other people prefer to work with a different standard they can create their own pretty print definition and they'll just have to work as "pretty-print to my standard, modify, pretty-print to lily's standard, submit".

Han-Wen
(being trained to avoid tabs during daytime)

Cheers,
Wol
--
Anthony W. Youngman - address@hidden