Re: Concert Pitch (a second try)

From: Ian Hulin
Subject: Re: Concert Pitch (a second try)
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2009 19:57:24 +0100

Bravo, Peter,
I say go with this, it is pitched just right for the intended audience.

You've got a note-reference "Bes" in there which will need to be marked as translatable.

Cheers,

Ian Hulin

Peter Chubb wrote:
I reckon it'd be better to split the whole thing  into three entries.
Whether an instrument transposes or not has nothing to do with concert pitch.

Here's my rough try at the three entries:

Concert Pitch: Notes like a, b, c etc., describe a relationship between themselves,
not an absolute pitch.  The nature of the relationship is the
so-called temperament (q.v.).  To be in tune, a group instruments must agree
on the relationship between pitches *and* the absolute pitch of one of
the notes.  In recent times that pitch, `concert pitch' has been
defined as 440Hz for the A above middle C, with other notes arranged
according to the temperament being used.

Temperament: the relationship between different pitches in a scale.
In the simplest case, an *equal-tempered* system has notes whose
frequencies are in the ratio of the twelfth root of two.  Such a
system always sounds out-of-tune, because thirds, fourths and fifths
are not exact ratios.  However it is widely used because all notes are
equally spaced, regardless of the starting note of a scale.

Transposing Instrument:  If an instrument is usually notated at a
pitch other than its sounding pitch (whether out of tradition, or for
the convenience of the player) it is said to be a *transposing
instrument.*  Bes and A Clarinets, many brass instruments, and some saxophones
are transposing instruments.

--
Dr Peter Chubb  http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au  peterc AT gelato.unsw.edu.au
http://www.ertos.nicta.com.au           ERTOS within National ICT Australia