Re: Concert Pitch (a second try)

From: Anthony W. Youngman
Subject: Re: Concert Pitch (a second try)
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 08:55:57 +0100

In message <address@hidden>, Carl D. Sorensen <address@hidden> writes
I'm going to step in here, perhaps where wise men fear to tread.

The LilyPond  music glossary isn't intended to be a definitive music
dictionary, is it?

So do we care what reference concert pitch uses?  Does it matter if it's
A=440, or A=445, or A=450?

It does matter that the reference is accurate.

Aren't the key issues that:

1) Concert pitch is established relative to some frequency standard.
2) Transposing instruments use notation relative to some other frequency
standard, such that a C in the transposing instrument notation is the same
frequency as the transposing instrument's note in concert pitch.

Thus, when a player playing a Bb clarinet plays what's notated in the Bb
clarinet part as a C, it sounds as a Bb in concert pitch.

I think you're right ...

It seems to me that all the rest of the information is more than is needed
for the LilyPond glossary; it's available in some other music dictionary.

But a little extra information always helps. I find understanding WHY is always a good idea. The trouble is there are far too many corner cases, and in trying to be simple and short, people keep on coming up with exceptions.

And, while I don't want to plug my instrument as an example, I've come across too many cases here with lilypond and elsewhere where people don't understand how to correctly notate transposing instruments, that I think a bit of extra information is important.

Of course, I barely qualify as a musician, so don't feel any obligation to
follow my suggestions.

:-)

Carl

Cheers,