Re: Git: to merge or not to merge.

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: Git: to merge or not to merge.
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 10:33:57 -0000

Francisco Vila Monday, October 27, 2008 9:42 AM

2008/10/27 John Mandereau <address@hidden>:
On 2008/10/26 23:32 +0100, Francisco Vila wrote:
I'm sure you have noticed that I do a merge of master into
lilypond/translation every few days. I am sorry if this is considered
a pollution of the history or some kind of inconvenient for any
reason. If so, please tell me.

As long as we need a dedicated branch for translations, there is no
better solution than merging; if you immediately push a merge commit
between two git.sv.gnu.org heads, it does't pollute too the history
IMHO.

I agree, but that's not what I do, but rather merge, then update, then
push both merge and updates. This only makes changes on master visible
from lilypond/translation.

Sometimes there is another commit in between and therefore I cannot
fast forward, but I deal with it by preparing a patch, resetting, and
applying it afterwards.

I think cherry-pick will do this for you automatically, and
with less effort if you use gitk.

Trevor