Re: font weirdness in lilypond

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: font weirdness in lilypond
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 08:55:47 +0100 (CET)

> > > No, I think it's a bug in the font itself(!). The glyph names
> > > seem to be a bit mangled; the name "N" is assigned to several
> > > codepoints, including that I-with-dot-below. (If you look in the
> > > ps file you can see that in the font definition.)
>
> I really can't believe that.  This is something which I have
> actually never seen before.  Can you send the font to me privately
> for further investigation?

The font TimesNewRomanPSMT, Version 5.01, is indeed strange.  There
are three `N' glyphs (indices 49, 1197, and 1230) and two `Delta'
glyphs (indices 168 and 507).  However, this is not an error since the
names from the `post' table within a TTF are not necessarily unique.
With other ords, a TTF interpreter which relies cmaps only (tables
which map character codes to glyph indices) works just fine, but a PS
interpreter which works with glyph names only fails.

    Werner