Re: need help with Rietveld (was: showFirstLength property)

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: need help with Rietveld (was: showFirstLength property)
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2008 19:18:13 +0200

2008/10/19 Neil Puttock <address@hidden>:
> What happens if you checkout a temporary branch tracking master, apply
> your patch, then use `git cl upload origin'?

address@hidden git]$ git checkout -b firstLength

address@hidden git]$ git am 0001-new-showFirstLength-feature.patch

address@hidden git]$ git cl upload origin
fatal: ambiguous argument 'origin': unknown revision or path not in
the working tree.
Use '--' to separate paths from revisions
Got error status from ['git', 'diff', '--full-index', 'origin']:
fatal: ambiguous argument 'origin': unknown revision or path not in
the working tree.
Use '--' to separate paths from revisions

address@hidden git]$ git cl upload
Command "git config branch.firstLength.merge" failed.
Unable to determine default branch to diff against.
Either pass complete "git diff"-style arguments, like
  git cl upload origin/master
or verify this branch is set up to track another (via the --track argument to
"git checkout -b ...").

I'm not familiar with the concept of "one branch tracking another branch";
I thought that switching from master to a new branch using "checkout
-b" automatically tracked master?

When I try to enter "git checkout -b --track", all it does is stupidly
create a "--track" branch :-(

Thanks for your help guys (btw, I still wonder why the heck the
git-log arguments made the thing crash, and if I was right to blindly
remove them).

Cheers,
Valentin