Re: Suggestion: tempo ranges

From: Patrick McCarty
Subject: Re: Suggestion: tempo ranges
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2008 16:47:20 -0700

Hi John,

On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 4:25 PM, John Zaitseff <address@hidden> wrote:
> Dear LilyPond developers,
>
> I don't know how much of a pain this would be to add (especially at
> this stage of development), but would it be possible to include
> ranges in tempo definitions?  I've done a quick search of the
> mailing list, but cannot see that anyone else has suggested this.
>
> A lot of music I am transcribing has tempo annotations of the form
> "dotted quarter note = 92-96".  I would like to enter something like the
> following in LilyPond:
>
>  \tempo 4. = 92-96

Hi John,

With the latest development release (2.11.61), you can do something like this:

%%%% BEGIN %%%%
\version "2.11.62"

\relative c' {
  \tempo \markup {
    \smaller \general-align #Y #DOWN \note #"4." #1
    =
    \tiny { "92-96" }
  }
  c1
  c4 c' c,2
}

However, I'm not very fluent with markup commands yet, so there's
probably a better way.  :-)  But this is the general idea.

HTH,
Patrick