Re: KeyboardStaff?

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: KeyboardStaff?
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2008 10:23:19 -0700

On Wed, 8 Oct 2008 18:25:07 +0200
"Valentin Villenave" <address@hidden> wrote:

> 2008/10/8 Graham Percival <address@hidden>:
> > Don't be silly.  This is just one more syntax change -- it's even
> > covered by convert-ly!
>
> You mean, this weird CLI-thingy 80% of our Windows users have never
> used? :-)

They'll need to learn sooner or later.

> > If anything, having such an obvious breakage for 2.12 is a *good*
> > thing, since it'll get people to run convert-ly (and read the
> > NEWS) sooner rather than later.
>
> I like your optimism (yeah, never thought I could say that some
> day) :)

I'm not optimistic; I'm jaded.

> > I agree with NEWS and mailing list, but not website, docs, and
> > airplanes.
>
> I do think we will have to temporary mention the obsolete PianoStaff
> somewhere visible in the docs.

Yes, like in the NEWS.

> David's proposal is certainly better and seemingly non-intrusive,

If he wants to volunteer to spend 5 hours a month dealing with old
syntax stuff, great!

> Note for myself: if we do mention it on the mailing list, we'll also
> have to personally warn people in charge of local groups such as
> Till's German forum, John's French ml, Hugo's Portuguese googlegroup,
> Fransisco's students, etc.

No.  You mention it on -user and the NEWS.  People who split the
lilypond community into individual language groups can take care
of their area.

However, with Joe's suggestion that PianoStaff might be useful in
the future, I think the discussion is over.  Keep PianoStaff; it
doesn't harm anybody at the moment, anyway.

- Graham