Re: Lilypond code/feature freeze for 2.12

From: Matthias Neeracher
Subject: Re: Lilypond code/feature freeze for 2.12
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 23:19:22 +0200

On Sep 22, 2008, at 23:13 , John Mandereau wrote:

On 2008/09/22, Matthias Neeracher wrote:
In VocalEasel, I have some code which tests for the presence of python
2.4 and if not found shows an alert taking the user to the download
page; I'd be happy to donate this to lilypond, but it's written in
Objective C++ and thus not directly suitable for inclusion.

Thanks, but we can check Python version from Python scripts themselves,
before importing the problematic modules:

The risk there is that if you do that, you can't modify the scripts to point to python2.4, and will have to change the version of the default "python" binary. I believe you can configure the binary Python installers to do that, but it's a course of action I try to avoid whenever possible.

if sys.hexversion < 0x02040000:
error ("Python 2.4 or newer is required.\n\nIf your operating system is
Mac OS X, please install Python from
http://www.python.org/download/mac/.")

Actually you can do even a tiny bit better than that by following that with a call to

system ("open http://www.python.org/download/mac/")

which will launch a browser window for the correct location.

Matthias