Re: git uncleaned history

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: git uncleaned history
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2008 00:12:59 +0200

On 2008/09/03 21:07 +0200, Jean-Charles Malahieude wrote:
> Truly sorry to admit I have polluted the history tree again.

We already discussed this kind of issue, but obvisously not clearly
enough.

> ~/GIT/Lily/---------------(branches master and lilypond/translation)
>              ---Mentors/---(my clone of the master branch)
>              ---Traduc/----(my clone of the lp/translation branch)
>

> Please correct me if I anything is wrong in my procedure:

Your procedure is correct, but could be improved by removing some
unnecessary commands and rebase -- the simplest is to always use
"--rebase" option when pulling.

> git fsck
> git gc      (and then if nothing seems wrong)

Why do you always use these commands?  They're only useful for monthly
(or weekly if you're finicky) maintenance.

> git format-patch origin
> git format-patch trans

Why do you need these commands?  They only create unnecessary files, as
you have push access.  If you want to check the diff of a commit, look
its committish up with "git log" then do "git show COMMITTISH" ("git
show" also works for last commit).

HTH,
John