RE: Proposed chord name font (PDF included)

From: Carl D. Sorensen
Subject: RE: Proposed chord name font (PDF included)
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2007 19:28:26 -0600

From: PabloZum [mailto:address@hidden
Sent: Sunday, July 29, 2007 12:34 PM
To: Carl D. Sorensen; address@hidden

1. how to change the default font used for chords so that I could use my font freely

and, more importantly,

2. how do disable the chord parsing functionality and its consequences, so as to make chord naming independent from the limited possibilities now available and allow users to write out virtually *any* chord, even crazy things like A#7b12#8/Dm14, and *still* be able to transpose that to, say, E7b12#8/Abm14.

I understand I could do all that by introducing a new chord name code, and I very much would like to contribute with something. Problem is, I don't know the first thing about code-writing, and have no idea where to start, how to go on and when to stop. :•)

#1 is easy.  You override the font-name, and can set it to any font that is available in fontconfig.  I don't have the syntax right at my fingertips, but a search of the user list should show the syntax.

On the other hand, #2 is, as far as I know, incompatible with Lilypond.  The transpose function works on _pitches_, not on text notes.  You can use markups with your exact same functionality (typing the special characters to get the display you want).  But if you want to transpose them, you'd need to define your own transpose function for text (which is probably not too hard), and figure out how to get Lilypond's transpose code to call your text transpose function (I have no idea how hard that is).

I'm not trying to throw cold water on your idea, but you are proposing a radical departure from how Lilypond works.  Somebody who understands the Lilypond architecture better than me would need to evaluate the feasibility of making such a departure.

Carl Sorensen