Re: tutorial and relative

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: tutorial and relative
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 03:12:12 -0800

Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:
  * have a very gentle entry introducing only one concept at a time

Agreed.

  * have learnful examples that clearly show the most interesting thing,
    but not necessarily ready-to-copy (and we introduced clickable-ly's
    for that

I disagree somewhat, and the recent flurry of user support (and _no_ dissenting voices!) have pushed my position to disagreeing strongly. We should have ready-to-copy snippets in at least the first few sections of the tutorial.

  * use more complete and interesting examples lateron to explain
    several related concepts

Maybe, maybe not.  I'd have to judge those on an individual basis.

  * explain only what needs to be explained to understand the tutorial,
    the complete story read a bit differently and read by advanced
    users

If I understand you correctly, then yes. The tutorial may gloss over some issues; the Notation chapters explain all the details.

  * only tell novices about relative mode, because that is what you'll
    use anyway (apropos: we have made several attempts to make \relative
    the default, and introduce an \absolute keyword/mode for expert
    use, eg algorithmic composition.  we still may make this switch
    when we see a clean possibility for doing this)

!!!
That's the first I've heard about this. I wanted to avoid introducing \relative mode in the early stages, since it's more complicated that absolute pitches.

Hmm... actually, this could work. I'd like to hear from other people, too: should the tutorial *only* discuss \relative ? It would be quite nice if we could tell people "unless otherwise specified, all examples in the notation manual are implicitly inside".

\relative c' {
%%% printed text
}

(as for a clean possibility to change this: if we make the next release 3.0, we don't need to worry so much about breaking people's files :)

Cheers,
- Graham