Re: volta questions

From: J.P. Mellor
Subject: Re: volta questions
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 13:10:35 -0500

    Paul> That resembles a bug!  I would expect \alternative { { a1 }
    Paul> { a1 a1 a1 a1 } } to give a 4 bar 2nd ending (draw the
    Paul> horizontal line for 4 bars).

I'm fairly certain this is not a bug.  The length of the volta bracket
changed by explicitly setting voltaSpannerDuration.  This is discussed
in the documentation
(http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.11/Documentation/user/lilypond.html#Repeats).

    Paul> Would it take care of your needs if I'm right about the
    Paul> double, etc. bar causing the closing vertical bar?

Extending the current set of double bars to include "||" would get
part of it.

The underlying motivation for raising this is my desire to handle
music that has alternatives (perhaps even multiple sets) in the middle
of a repeated chunk, not just alternatives at the end.  Consider the
following chunk of music: common1 A common2  common1 B common2
common1 C common2.  I'd like to represent this as common1 A B C common2.
Where A, B, and C are alternatives with volta brackets, but because
they are in the middle of the repeated chunk none of them have double
bars at the end.  The repeat is at the end of common2.  In this case I
think the vertical bar on the right is necessary to clearly indicate
which bars go with which alternative

    Paul> Looking a little more I find some examples of each style in
    Paul> my published music.

    Paul> Let's see if we get developer input here.

Broader input is good.

Perhaps another way to handle both styles is to treat alternatives in
the middle as a special case.

Thanks,

jp