Re: another skyline problem

From: Joe Neeman
Subject: Re: another skyline problem
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 13:06:33 +0200

On 12/7/06, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:

> > > If a user wants the symbol to be positioned at an absolute
> > > offset from its Y-parent, they can just set
> > > outside-staff-position to () in addition to setting Y-offset.
>
> Sorry, outside-staff-priority, not outside-staff-position.

This doesn't work.  I tried

  \once \override DynamicText #'outside-staff-priority = ##f

and

  \once \override DynamicText #'outside-staff-priority = #'()

in my example recently sent to the list.  Both have no effect.

That's right -- you need to override DynamicLineSpanner instead of DynamicText (see the following example). The reason is that every DynamicText is wrapped in a DynamicLineSpanner and the Staff's VerticalAxisGroup only sees the DynamicLineSpanner, not the DynamicText. It's a little unnatural, but I don't see another way to implement it.

\version "2.11.1"
{
  \override DynamicText #'X-offset = #'-5.0
  c2
  c''\ff
  c2
  \once \override DynamicText #'outside-staff-priority = ##f
  c''\ff
  c2
  \once \override DynamicLineSpanner #'outside-staff-priority = ##f
  c''\ff
}

\paper {
  ragged-right = ##t