Re: git patch

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: git patch
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2006 10:52:51 +0100 (CET)

> cvs co blah blah  (which I simply copy and paste from savannah anyway)
> while (true) {
>    cvs update          // get changes that happened overnight
>    vi foo/bar/baz.txt  // or whatever editing commands you do
>    make; make web      // or whatever testing commands you do
>    cvs update          // get latest changes to prepare for
>                        // uploading changes.  This step may or
>                        // may not be required in git.
>    cvs ci foo/bar/baz.txt  // upload changes
> }

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes!

It took me a while to realize that a git repository, as soon as you've
cloned it, is *self-contained*, and that commiting to the repository
and synchronizing with a different git repository are two completely
different things (contrary to CVS).  This should be pronounced more in
the CVS->git guide.

    Werner