Re: Documentation translation: first patch

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: Documentation translation: first patch
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2006 00:24:23 +0100

Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:
> John Mandereau <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > I expect to be able to send a patch within a week or so. I'm slow
> > because I'm a bit busy and I have very little programming experience.
>
> In that case, do you have something done already?  If you have
> translation updates, please push that (esp. the node names.)  I have
> some time available, Han-Wen and I could look at the makefile bit.

I only have half-done work, and I prefer to send code that almost works,
not a mess that would take you more time to read and complete than
simply write the code from scratch.

So, if you don't mind, I'd like to finish these bits of code.

> > 3) roll a single docball like today, and add into the docball a Python
> > script that the end user could run to tweak the links according to his
> > language preferences. It shouldn't be too difficult, as Python is
> > shipped within GUB.
> >
> > I'd vote for 3)
>
> Me too.  The script should be in lilypond however.  What about simply
> replacing any UNTRANSLATED NODE message page with a copy or symlink to
> the original page?

Those dummy 'UNTRANSLATED NODE' HTML pages are not packed
into /out-www/web-root anyway. Do you mean all pages only available in
English should be duplicated with a fr.html extension?
If we do so, all *.html links in *.fr.html pages could be renamed to
*.fr.html. Then, as soon as the user gets to a *.fr.html page, he will
seamlessly switch between English pages (those not translated) and
French pages.

Well, how clever you are! This possibility requires little user
intervention (just clicking on a "French translation" link on the doc
start page), a single docball, and it would only cost a bit more disk
space since .html files are duplicated. Anyway, like Han-Wen points out,
it's much simpler than telling the users to run a Python script.

Practically speaking, this file copying and link substitution could be
done after add-html-footer.py by a small Python script.
Any thoughts?

--
John Mandereau <address@hidden>