Re: link to Kievan Notes page

From: Juergen Reuter
Subject: Re: link to Kievan Notes page
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 14:47:08 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 5 Dec 2006, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:

- the length of 8th note stems varies between 2 and 2.5 staff space.
What's the reasoning behind this?

As far as I understand, it is the same idea behind it as for custodes and mensural flags: for notes that are on stafflines, you have a different stem/flare length than for notes between stafflines.

See, e.g. in custos.cc:

  if (adjust)
    font_char += (((pos ^ sz) & 0x1) == 0) ? "1" : "0";

or in stem.cc:

    /* Mensural notation: For notes on staff lines, use different
       flags than for notes between staff lines.  The idea is that
       flags are always vertically aligned with the staff lines,
       regardless if the note head is on a staff line or between two
       staff lines.  In other words, the inner end of a flag always
       touches a staff line.
    */

I am only wondering why this adjustment for 8th note stems is applied for downward stems only, but not for upward stems. I guess, it should be applied to both.

Greetings,
Juergen