Re: Documentation translation: first patch

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: Documentation translation: first patch
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 13:01:11 +0100

John Mandereau <address@hidden> writes:

> I expect to be able to send a patch within a week or so. I'm slow
> because I'm a bit busy and I have very little programming experience.

In that case, do you have something done already?  If you have
translation updates, please push that (esp. the node names.)  I have
some time available, Han-Wen and I could look at the makefile bit.

> There are still some technical details about the offline docs: how
> should (automatic) language selection work there?

Not.

> It seems obvious to me that links in French pages should point to French
> pages as long as they exist, but how does a French reader get to a
> French page first?

Yes.

> The quickest possibility is to add a link to French tutorial on the docs
> start page index.html.in. That's certainly what we should do for the
> next release.

That is what we want.

> That's fine now for the first translated docs release, but when other
> parts of the manual are translated, it could be cumbersome for the user
> to switch back to French when he comes from an English-only page and
> gets to a page translated in French. So, IMHO there should also be a
> kind of automatic language selection for the offline docs. I see 3
> possibilities:

> 3) roll a single docball like today, and add into the docball a Python
> script that the end user could run to tweak the links according to his
> language preferences. It shouldn't be too difficult, as Python is
> shipped within GUB.
>
> I'd vote for 3)

Me too.  The script should be in lilypond however.  What about simply
replacing any UNTRANSLATED NODE message page with a copy or symlink to
the original page?

Jan.