Re: does partcombine need notes to be close together?

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: does partcombine need notes to be close together?
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 08:02:56 +0200

It is common typesetting practice to use different stem directions for
different voices, to clarify which note belongs to which voice.

However, if you want the two lines of music to be typeset as a
single voice with chords, then you could just put them into the
same Voice context:

upper = \relative c''{e4 f g e c1}
lower = \relative c'{c4 d e d c1}

\score{
 \new Voice <<\upper \lower>>
}

  /Mats

Ted Walther wrote:
I'm entering the music with partcombine for now.  The very first bar
shows up a behavior.  I have a b and a g separated by more than an
octave.  I believe they should be on the same stem, as they are on the
printed music I am entering by hand.  But lilypond is giving each their
own stem, the b with an up pointing stem, and the g with a down pointing
stem.

Is this proper behavior?

Ted

        Mats Bengtsson