Backend and non-backend (was Re: Stencil bounding box)

From: David Feuer
Subject: Backend and non-backend (was Re: Stencil bounding box)
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 10:52:34 -0400

On 4/27/06, Han-Wen Nienhuys <address@hidden> wrote:

Frankly, I'm a bit mystified why you're spending so much time on
building the ultimate postscript backend.  The backend is not a
performance bottleneck. If you think the current PS code is inefficient,
then you should have a look at the rest of LilyPond.

Could you suggest something else to work on that would be reasonably
easy to understand?

Yes, but to me this seems hardly related to music typesetting. I think
it would be in better style to look for a standardized PDF/PS output
library and offload all of the PS/PDF generation to there. Dealing with
PS and PDF is a huge sink of developer time, since it tends to turn up
all kinds of bugs and compatibility problems in
PostScript/GhostScript/acrobat/etc. It would be a good thing if we could
outsource that effort to another project.

There's pslib.sourceforge.net.  Not sure that it's any easier than
doing it ourselves.  If you help me refactor the backend as we
discussed a few weeks ago, I'd be glad to take responsibility for the
postscript backend.

David