Idea for sponsoring enhancements

From: Rick Hansen (aka RickH)
Subject: Idea for sponsoring enhancements
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 10:59:37 -0700 (PDT)

I'm a newbie but I just thought of an idea for sponsoring enhancements, shoot
me down if it's no good, (it would not be the first time I've ever had a bad
idea).

Why not start a "child mailing list" here called "sponsorship pledges" or
something like that.  Each thread represents an enhancement request that
someone is willing to sponsor but maybe not for the full price.  Other
people can open that thread and "throw in" 10 bucks, or rubles, or euros,
etc. basically "pledging" that they like the enhancement too and are willing
to contribute.  When the "money bucket" reaches an adequate sum, the paypal
pledges are all "called in", and the financial transactions made.  Then the
enhancement gets worked on and the developers divy up the booty themselves.
People would be expected to honor their pledges once the pot is filled, but
good excuses are ok like job loss etc.

I'm a newbie to gnu, so maybe this is the way it works already and I'm
making a fool of myself;)  But at least a list of desied enhancements that
people can contribute to would be nice.

The only requirement to post is that you ARE pledging money, by either
starting a new thread or adding a pledge to an existing thread for as little
as 5 euro/dollars if thats all you have.  I'm sure people have "in common
requests" for cost sharing.