Re: Stencils

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Stencils
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 18:30:07 +0200

David Feuer wrote:
           "they are moved by the latter amount."
           "@var{first} and @var{second} may also be '() or #f.")

I'm a little confused.  What exactly happens when the reference points
are too close? And why does this happen at the stencil level? Shouldn't all the decisions be made above that? A few more things:

1.  Are stencils just created as an intermediate output format, or do
they participate in the process of adjusting the music to arrange all
the pieces as well as possible?

They participate, in that their dimension fields are used for various computations. Simply said, a stencil is a combination of output format and a bbox.

2.  The more I read the code and think about it, the more I think
stencil interpretation should be pushed to the back end and written in
Scheme.

what exactly do you want to push back?

3.  I really don't like stencil leaves being arbitrary scheme
expressions that produce output.  When the back end can't look inside
the box, it can't figure out the best way to deal with the contents.

Perhaps, but it was an easy solution for what we needed: a way of having pluggable backends with minimum fuss.

LilyPond Software Design
 -- Code for Music Notation
http://www.lilypond-design.com