Re: Style

From: Stephen
Subject: Re: Style
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 14:12:14 -0500

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Feuer" <address@hidden>
To: "lily-devel" <address@hidden>
Sent: Tuesday, April 04, 2006 10:57 AM
Subject: Style

I'm sure someone has brought this up before, but I've been thinking a
bit about the way users tweak output in Lilypond.

As it is, tweaks
are generally interspersed with actual music information.

If a user is interspersing his tweaks this demonstrates a poor writing style on the users part. All tweaks that are meant to have a universal impact should be placed at the top of the file or in a separate file. I think Lilypond's weakness is that it is too flexible now and encourages the user to misuse it.

Figuring out the best defaults is important for the casual user that does not want to mess with tweaking the output. I doubt that any developer imagines that every user wants to use the same defaults. I think the serious professional user can already get Lilypond to output in the engraving style he needs more easily than any other program.

Stephen

This seems
to make things difficult when someone tries to maintain a part that
has to be transposed a couple different ways, or printed on different
paper sizes, or whatever.  The web deals with this problem through
CSS, and I would suggest that Lilypond might do something similar: let
users name timesteps, timestep edges, measures, and categories of
such, and format them according to a separate program.  Obviously this
would be loads of work, and I don't even know if it would be feasible,
but that's what I'm thinking.

David Feuer