Re: doc branching

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: doc branching
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 05:37:46 -0700

On 5-Apr-06, at 5:23 AM, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:

Graham Percival wrote:
In addition, if Erik's music streams are in place in 2.10, then users who don't want to manually upgrade syntax on old completed files have the option of using the streams (which is the whole point of them, right?) If you look at it that way, wouldn't we be absolutely crazy to release 3.0 instead of 2.10? :)

I'm in disagreement with Erik over this, as I think that people will want to upgrade their .ly files, instead of upgrading machine generated files which aren't editable. Note that the stream -> .ly conversion is non-existent at present.

I'm not certain what "people" will want to do, but I would have loved this a few years ago. I have literally over 50 scores, some dating back to 1.6 days, which I still haven't updated. And I didn't keep pdfs; at the time I assumed that convert-ly would handle everything. Occasionally I have the urge to go back and look at a piece I wrote back then, but this urge is never strong enough to spend half an hour updating that .ly file.

Just drop me a line when I should update lilypond.org with the latest doc fixes.

2.9 has everything I'm planning on doing until the weekend. It needs to be backported to 2.8, which I can't do until Thurs evening, so go ahead and move everything from 2.9 Documentation/user/* to 2.8.

- Graham