Re: al niente / de niente - was Re: (no subject)

From: Trevor Bača
Subject: Re: al niente / de niente - was Re: (no subject)
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 17:32:28 -0500

On 4/3/06, Erlend Aasland <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi Trevor
>

> On 4/3/06, Trevor Bača <address@hidden> wrote:
> > (I notice that the example at the very end of the first line is quite
> > large; I'm assuming this is just a proof to show that magnification
> > works correctly?)
>

> Yes, I was just testing the thickness/height parameters.
>
> > (Also, nice job on the double hairpins joined at the open circle ...
> > your result actually looks more elegant than the examples in the
> > Sciarrino.)
>

> :-)
>
> Now we only need a proper n-glyph. (I doubt that I'll have time to do
> something with it. Perhaps it is best to sponsor Han-Wen to do that.)

Hm. Maybe we can just use the circles for now? I actually much prefer
the new glyphs to the 'n' sign.

I found it kinda odd when Han-Wen explained that each new dynamic
glyph (beyond the existing f, m, p, s, r, z) has to be done by hand
(possibly using mftrace or something?). I guess I was thinking that
the dynamic glyphs already existed in some font somewhere ... but on
thinking about it, it makes sense that we're not just using, say,
BaskervilleBoldOblique 14 or something. Done into the cheese fonts
ourselves we preserve the 'look' of the dynamics glyphs regardless of
platform, etc.

Anyway, thanks so much for open circled hairpins; I say we wait on
sponsoring the 'n' glyph for now while we put the hairpins to use!

--
Trevor Bača
address@hidden