Re: lilypond.org copyright and wiki

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: lilypond.org copyright and wiki
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 14:30:34 +0200

John Mandereau wrote:
Graham Percival wrote:

On 7-Sep-05, at 9:15 AM, John Mandereau wrote:

I don't mind dual-licensing this page, but the 2nd license has to be
compatible with the first one (CC-NC/SA), which is certainly not the
case of the GNU FDL, which allows a commercial usage.

By "the 2nd license has to be compatible", do you mean "I (John
Mandereau) insist on doing this", or "legally speaking, the 2nd license
has to be compatible..." ?

If it's the first, then fine; that is completely within your rights. If the second,
then you are mistaken.  _I_ cannot take the existing page and relicense
it, since I don't own the copyright to it (as you contributed some material). But if both of us (and any other contributors) decide to dual-license that
material under the CC-NC/SA and GNU FDL... or even a traditional
commercial copyright license... then we are completely able to do that.

I mean "legally speaking, ...". Why would you like to relicense this
page? Do you want to include it in the documentation??? If not, I see no
good reason to relicense it under the FDL.

I don't get it. Isn't it easier that we sort out any problems when they actually appear? It seems a waste of brainpower to do anything now. When the time is there, we can always ask permission of {us,wiki contributors} to grant various permissions.

Do the webmasters wish I submit them a patch for adding links to the
wiki? Of course, I won't do it until the wiki is ready.

yes please.