Re: [Re: Proper handling of accidentals in unmetered music?]

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: [Re: Proper handling of accidentals in unmetered music?]
Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2005 00:45:34 +0200

Ruud van Silfhout wrote:
This could be mixed nicely with another feature that has been requested once and awhile: composite time signatures (or compound timesignatures as I also have seen). This is used in modern church music. This could be specified with something like '\timeset { 4/4 3/4 }'. This triggers the follwoing behavior:
1. At the point of definition the time signature are printed.
2. By default the actual time signature is set to the first signature in the set. 3. When a timesignature changes within the set i.e. from 3/4 to 4/4 and back, no timesignature is printed by default. 4. When a timesignature changes from something in the time signature set to something outside it, then the timesignature is printed by default. 5. When a timesignature is changed from something outside the set to someting in it, then the time signature is not printed by default. 6. An empty set reverts the behaviour to the normal lilypond behaviour with the currently active timesignature, which is then printed by default.
7. All items mentioned before as 'by default' are tweakable properties.

If the extra '\time x/y' statements are too much to type one could also think of using the "|" to simplify notation, although this leads to overloaded usage of the "|" symbol.

I can add this as a sponsored feature. Please contact me privately, if interested.

LilyPond Software Design
 -- Code for Music Notation
http://www.lilypond-design.com